.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, April 16, 2010

 

tea in a vacuum chamber

so last night I was trying to make tea to take to work today, and it worked out mostly well,

I made the tea and then poured the almost boiling liquid into a canning jar,
I then put the lid on it, then I got the idea that I should turn it upside down so that the hot liquid would kill off any bacteria or viruses on the lid (I have been sick),
when I did that, the tea forced it's way past the lid and spilled all over while burning me,
so I spun it upright very quickly
at the time it seemed as if the air over the tea expanding was causing me the problem,
so I decided to put the jar in my vacuum chamber to remove the air,
I set the lid on the jar to let out the air but not back in (just like you would if pressure canning),
and closed the chamber up and turned on the pump,

just to let everyone know, if you have almost boiling liquid and then take all the air away,
it starts boiling again very very fast.
it over flowed very fast and made a mess of my chamber,
so I turned off the pump and let the air rush back in to the chamber
then opened up the chamber and pulled out the jar of tea
so I tightened the ring on the lid and turned the jar upside down again
this time it started boiling again but did not spew everywhere,

so I went back and started to clean my chamber out.

the moral to this story is that it is a bad idea to turn a canning jar of boiling liquid upside down
and even a worse idea to put it in your vacuum chamber to get the air out
but it did work in the end and it is very good tea.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?